A former care home manager was convicted yesterday of a health and safety offence relating to the death of a resident with learning disabilities, in a prosecution brought by Enfield Council.
Patience Etchu-Abangma was found guilty of failing to take reasonable care over the health and safety of Jesse Moores, a resident of the Chine home in the London borough, who died aged 26 in November 2005, after choking on his food.
Robinia’s guilty plea
The provider of the home, Robinia Care Group Ltd, had already pleaded guilty to three health and safety breaches:-
- Failing to ensure people including Moores were not exposed to health and safety risks.
- Failing to carry out a suitable assessment of the risks to Moores’ health and safety.
- Failing to inform the relevant authority of Moores’ death.
Not in vain
Following the verdict, Moores’ father, Bob Moores, said: “This has been an extremely difficult time, and whilst nothing can undo the events of the 3 November, 2005, if lessons are learned, then my son’s death will not be in vain.”
Ray James, Enfield’s director of health and adult social care, said the council was committed to taking “firm action” following Moores’ death, which had been vindicated by Robinia’s guilty plea and yesterday’s verdict.
Damning inspection led to closure
The Chine closed in 2006 following a damning Commission for Social Care Inspection report that revealed “serious concerns” about medical practice at the home.
Another defendant, Gideon Attram, was found not guilty of health and safety offences. Sentencing of Robinia and Etchu-Abangma has been deferred until April 2009.