2nd/16th/23th March, 13th/20th April, 11th/18th/25th May & 8th/29th June 2012
CBI Oxford Street, London
With a unique brand and heritage, and over 70 years experience, Relate is the UK’s largest provider of relationship support and sex therapy.
We equip our 2,000 practitioners with the skills to qualify them to work effectively with adult couples and hope that our specialist knowledge and expert trainers can now be used to support people working in allied professions and vocational settings.
The Relate Certificate will develop the effectiveness of professionals when working with couples. It will provide an introduction to the theories that underpin work with couples and an opportunity to practice some of the skills that are needed when working with couple clients.
The course is open to all professionals in allied sectors who work with couples in their professional and vocational settings including health and social care, local authorities, community work, housing associations, occupational health, churches, probation services, mediation, clinical psychology, sexual health centres, job centres, alcohol and drug services. Whilst not a training that is designed to equip people to work as specialist couple counsellors, the course will enhance participants’ confidence, ability and knowledge when working with couples. Participants will be offered experiential activities and learning which will be facilitated through the use of genograms, assessed learning portfolios and role play practice.
The course will cover the following topics:-
• The theory and practice of working with couples
• Exploration of the worker’s own attitudes and approaches when working with couples
• Ethical practice and ethical frameworks
• Counselling and models of change
• The use of supervision
• Attachment theory
• Working with a sexual focus
• A model of communication
• Issues of difference and diversity
• An exploration of dominant discourses
• An exploration of cultural contexts.
Upon completion of this certificate level training, participants will:
• Understand how to work professionally with couple clients in their own professional role
• Be able to establish and manage more effectively their relationship with couples
• Be clear about personal, professional and ethical boundaries
• Gain the confidence to offer effective support in couple relationships
• Draw on a working knowledge of relationships and the basic understanding of couple relationships
• Respond more confidently and competently to support individuals and couples with their relationships
• Respond sensitively to issues of diversity in couple work
• Have a better appreciation of how their couple clients view them in their professional role
• Be clear about when and how to refer couples for specialist help with their relationship.
Either basic counselling skills or equivalent at level 3, or evidence of working in a relevant professional or vocational setting where participants have the opportunity to develop an understanding, and practise the use, of counselling skills applicable to working with couples.
About the Trainers:-
Specialist Relate Trainer – Carter Portch MA BA PGDip PGCE
Carter currently works at the Relate Institute as a programme leader for the MA Relationship Therapy and the University Advanced Diploma: Introduction to Couple Counselling and as a family and relationship counsellor. Prior to this Carter worked as a couple and family counsellor, trainer and supervisor for Relate Greater Manchester South. Carter’s previous job roles include lecturer, senior lecturer and section leader in Further Education and in the Probation Service.
Specialist Relate Trainer – John Woolner MSc BA CQSW
John is a UKCP systemic couple and family therapist and has been a trainer for Relate since 2003. John’s previous background in mental health social work first sparked his interest in couple and family therapy. John currently sits on Mental Health Review Tribunals, lectures in law and social work and also works as a couple and family therapist for the NHS.
Course Fee: £1150 including lunch and refreshments
For more information or to book a place on this course, please contact Rosie Fermin on email@example.com or 01302 347850