There may come a time in your career when you need or choose to work as a locum social worker. For some, finding the right agency may seem a daunting process, however, with a clear focus on what you want from your agency and what you can offer their clients, it shouldn’t be so difficult.
No matter which agency you decide to register with, they should be able to answer the following questions:
1. How do I register with you and what’s involved?
2. How soon can I start working?
3. I’ve never worked as a temp; will I be able to secure regular work?
4. What sort of clients will I be able to work with?
5. What sort of work will you be able to find for me?
6. How long will a temporary contract last for?
7. How much will I earn, and when and how do I get paid?
At Tradewind Recruitment Social Care, we pride ourselves on our honest and open communication. We understand how important it is for our candidates and clients to be able to trust us. In return, we ask social workers to be open with their requirements and inform us as soon as possible of any changes in their circumstances that may prevent us from securing a position for them.
Another thing to think about when registering with an agency is the mutual obligation of both parties. For example, the agency’s obligation to you, the candidate, includes: ensuring you are fully compliant to work with social services, NHS trusts and charitable organisations; completing an enhanced DBS/CRB disclosure every 12 months; and providing ongoing support through training and development.
Meanwhile, your obligation to the agency includes: providing clear guidelines on your requirements including pay expectations, preferred locations of work and sectors you are willing to work in; an ability to supply all documentation for compliance, ID and verification purposes; and open communication regarding current and previous employment searches (either independently or via another agency).
The Recruitment and Employment Confederation’s audited quality mark requirements form the cornerstone of our recruitment process at Tradewind Recruitment Social Care. We understand our responsibility to the candidates we register and place in temporary assignments and, consequently, we ensure that all qualified social workers undergo stringent vetting procedures in order for us to be able to secure them the most suitable assignment.
All candidates will have to undertake the following as a minimum:
• A professional, face-to-face candidate interview with an experienced consultant who will be your dedicated point of contact at Tradewind
• Verification of your legal right to work in the UK
• Verification of your social work qualifications and registration with the Health and Care Professions Council
• Completion of an enhanced DBS/CRB disclosure
• Verification of experience, obtained through five years’ worth of referencing
In return, Tradewind Recruitment offers:
• A selection of positions across London and south-east England
• Temporary contracts within our client organisations, including the NHS, private sector, local authority social services and not-for-profit organisations
• Competitive pay rates
• Free DBS/CRB disclosure
• Weekly pay and pay options including PAYE
• Personal CV writing service
• One-to-one support and career guidance with an experienced consultant, including support with training and professional development
For the 12 years we’ve been trading, we’ve found thousands of well-paid, challenging and satisfying locum roles for our candidates. We pride ourselves on the length of time most locums work for us and believe this is due to our professionalism, integrity and empathy with the candidate.
Be careful when choosing an agency as they will effectively become your employer. It’s important to ensure that, culturally and professionally, they are the right organisation for you.
For more information, contact Sharlene Knight, managing director, Tradewind Recruitment Social Care on 0845 880 1273 or visit tradewindsocialcare.com