Council tax victory for disability groups

Older and disabled residents living in self-contained units within
care homes will not have to pay separate council tax fees, after
appeals from two charities forced the government to alter

The change, called for by disability charities John Grooms and the
Royal National Institute of the Blind, will mean all registered
care homes in England, including those with self-contained units,
will be assessed for council tax as a single residence which will
be solely the responsibility of the owner. Previously, residents
living in private rooms were classified as living independently and
had to pay a separate bill.

The RNIB will still take action this week to fight for the policy
change to be applied retrospectively.

The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister will consult on the
proposals next week and ministers aim to change the legislation
later this year.

More from Community Care

Comments are closed.