Widowed Parent’s Allowance

Who is it for?
Widowers or widows with dependent children, or widows expecting husband’s child at time of his death. 

Who pays it?
Job Centre Plus.

Which leaflet? And how is it claimed?
On form BB1 from local Job Centre Plus office.or online or by calling 800 0556688. 

What are the age limits?
Under pensionable age (for men whose wife died before 9/4/01, he must be under pensionable age on that day)

National Insurance based?
Yes, unless spouse’s death due to industrial accident or disease.

Means tested?

How long does it last?
Stops on remarriage, new civil partnership, cohabitation (including same-sex), or when all dependent children cease to qualify for child benefit.

What is effect on other benefits?
Partially taken into account by means tested benefits (£10 ignored in IS/JSA, £15 ignored in HB/CTB).

Is it taxable?

Increases for dependants?
No – claim CTC instead unless already getting increase before 5/4/2003.

Payable if in EU or other?
Yes, but if outside EU check uprating.

Points to watch
Payable to civil partners but not co-habitees of either sex. Available to men already widowed by 9/4/01 (so long as conditions met). When WPA stops, no bereavement allowance paid unless it is within 52 weeks of spouses death (and then only until 52 weeks is completed).

You can view details of benefit amounts on the Community Care Inform website

The A-Z of Benefits 2009 was compiled by Gary Vaux and Community Care Inform


More from Community Care

Comments are closed.