Regional offices need expert links

Regional government offices are unclear about where to find
adult social care expertise, a senior Department of Health official

In a letter to health chiefs, Duncan Selbie, the department’s
director of programmes and performance, says there is an
“unresolved issue” about how regional government offices find
expert advice.

Selbie cites the role of health bodies in the development of
local area agreements, a government policy to allow more local
flexibility over service priorities and funding. They are being
piloted in 21 areas and will be rolled out to 66 more.

Regional government offices play a central role in negotiating
the agreements with councils and their partners.

The DH is in talks with the Commission for Social Care
Inspection and the deputy prime minister’s office about the
situation. A spokesperson said they were “looking at how to
strengthen” links between the offices and adult care experts.


More from Community Care

Comments are closed.