Enfield Council took Robinia Care Group to court last week for health and safety offences after a 26-year-old resident, Jesse Moores, died in November 2005 at one of the group’s residential care homes in Enfield, north London.
Moores died at The Chine, a care home for 14 adults with learning disabilities, after choking on his food.
The home closed in 2006 after a Commission for Social Care Inspection report in December 2005 identified a “high number of requirements”, 25 in total plus three good practice recommendations, which reflected the “seriousness” of CSCI’s concerns, it said.
In particular, the inspector had “serious concerns” about medical practice at the care home, where records were misplaced, staff were not given written guidance, and management did not check medication records to ensure residents were taking the prescribed doses.
After the death of Moores, a coroner’s inquest was opened and adjourned pending further investigation, which was carried out by the police and the council.
As a result of this investigation, charges were brought against Robinia Care Group and individual charges were brought against staff members under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
However, the individuals have pleaded not guilty to Section 7 and Section 33 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Robinia Care Group has yet to enter a plea over the Health and Safety offences.
At the first hearing, on 13 March, Robinia Care Group did not enter a plea at Enfield Magistrates Court. A second hearing is scheduled for the 27 March.