Next Steps

Carl is an 18-year-old who works at a home for adolescents.

What is your job?

I am a residential support worker.

What are your responsibilities?

I work in a unit with children who have challenging behaviour. I
need to maintain a working rapport with all the children which is
tricky as I work part-time.

What is your salary?

I earn £8 per hour.

What are your career aspirations?

I want to continue working with children, especially helping
them develop their education.

OK, here are three possible career options:

  1. Children and families social worker at a council. Possibly
    working as part of a leaving care team you would help young people,
    aged 16 plus, to move towards independent living. You would provide
    support to help young people have a positive transition into
    adulthood and improve their life chances. You would support them in
    their education, employment and training and ensure they have the
    necessary skills. You would earn £24,000 a year.
  2. After this role you may be interested in taking on a more
    senior position. A section manager for the children and young
    people’s service would be ideal. You would be responsible for a
    group of front-line staff who undertake assessments and deliver
    support and outreach services to children and their families. You
    would need a social work qualification and four years’ post
    qualifying experience. You would assist in the co-ordination and
    development of the families and young people service. This includes
    staff appraisals and recording of staff training needs. You would
    manage the planning, allocation and the review of staff workloads.
    The salary would be £31,000.
  3. You could extend your skills and become an education welfare
    officer. You would work with whole families and deal with the
    problems and issues that may prevent children from attending
    schools. You would require a recognised social work qualification
    and would be based within a local education authority in England
    and Wales. Your salary would be £24,000 a year.

More from Community Care

Comments are closed.