Pensioner dies in scalding bath

A pensioner died after being severely scalded in a hot bath at a
Birmingham care home because of neglect, an inquest jury has ruled,
writes Maria Ahmed.

George Inwood, 68, suffered a heart attack and burns when water
just below boiling point came out of the hot tap on April 1 last
year, Birmingham coroner’s court heard.

There was a fault with the water system thermostat causing
scalding hot water that had been reported at least five times by
nurses but was not fixed, the inquest was told.

Inwood’s medical notes also showed he had problems getting
in and out of the bath and should have been with a carer at the

After a two-day hearing this week, a jury of eight people
unanimously returned a verdict of accidental death with a
contributory factor of neglect.

Charity Servol ran the home but leased the building from
Birmingham and Solihull mental health trust, which was in charge of
maintenance contracted out to facilities company Amey.

The family solicitor said the pensioner’s son Derek Inwood
was planning to launch civil proceedings against both Servol and
the NHS mental health trust.

Charles Jordan, chief executive of Servol at the time of
Inwood’s death, expressed his sincere regret but said the
charity had an otherwise excellent 27-year record.

Nette Carde, director of operations for Birmingham and Solihull
mental health trust said: “We have worked closely with the
companies contracted to maintain the facility in order to survey
all our premises and we have introduced a detailed annual programme
of service testing.”




More from Community Care

Comments are closed.