Further new unitary authorities which come on stream in April
1997 have appointed social services directors:
– Milton Keynes has appointed Ian Wilson, currently its director
of housing, as director of neighbourhood services, combining social
services and housing.
– Margaret McGlade, assistant director of social services at
Nottinghamshire County Council, has been appointed to head social
services at Derby Council.
– Another assistant director at Nottinghamshire, Sandra Taylor,
takes the directorship of social services at Leicester Council.
– Lynn Hopkins, head of children’s services at Dorset County
Council, is to be the new social services director for
– Portsmouth has chosen Rob Hutchinson, deputy director of
Hampshire social services, to take over the top social services
– Phillip Swann, now deputy social services director at Bolton
Council, has been appointed to head Stoke-on-Trent social services
– Swindon’s new social services director is Marie Seaton,
managing director of United Response, a voluntary organisation
providing services to people with mental health problems or
– Poole has named Fred Davies, deputy director Gloucestershire
social services, as its policy director – social services. Davies
is expected to begin his new job by October.
– Brighton & Hove is readvertising the social services
director’s post after failing to appoint from the first round of
– Interviews for the Rutland director’s job are due to be held