Name: Y-Speak Consultation Fund
Contact details: Y SPEAK, Changemakers, Baybrook Farm, Lower Godney, Wells, Somerset, BA5 1RZ. Tel 0845 226 0583.
What is it? A government-funded scheme that “supports the involvement of young people in decision-making at national, regional and local levels”. Grants are available to groups and individual young people based in England.
Who runs it? Originally run by the Department for Education and Skills, Y SPEAK was taken over in 2004 by the educational charity Changemakers. Applications and projects are reviewed by the Y SPEAK Youth Board, which includes 18 young people recruited across England.
How much money does it give away? Around £400,000 per year.
How big is each grant? There are two types of grant: Organisational grants average around £5,000, up to a maximum of £7,500 for national projects and £10,000 for international projects; Youth-led grants average £1,000, up to a maximum of £3,000 for national projects and £4,000 for international projects.
Who or what is the money intended for? The Fund is targeted at excluded and hard-to-reach groups of young people. However the youth-led grants tend to attract those more able to lead their own consultation activity. The Fund is only available in England and is for projects aimed at children and young people aged 19 and under.
What kind of projects are eligible? The fund supports projects that help children and young people to:
* participate in consultation activities within their local community or further afield
* express their views and enable them to “make a difference”
* ensure that services are more responsive to their needs
* influence policies at local, regional, national or international level
* develop their knowledge and understanding of their duties, rights and responsibilities as active citizens
* develop the knowledge, skills and understanding to play an effective role in society
* make a positive contribution to their community
* develop self-esteem and confidence in giving their opinions
Who can apply? Applicants for organisational grants must be not-for-profit, voluntary or community sector organisations or national/local charitable trusts in England. Applicants for grants for youth-led projects must be aged between 16 and 25.
How do I apply? Application packs can be downloaded from:
When should I apply? The next deadline is September 29 2005
How long does the process take? The results of applications will be announced in early November 2005
How will the Trust monitor our performance? There is a comprehensive evaluation system, including written reports, an external evaluator and assessment by the Youth Board.